The Community of Madrid reopens the Nave de Motores of Metro after works to improve its accessibility
The Community of Madrid is to reopen the Nave de Motores to the public next Friday, following the remodelling work undertaken by Metro de Madrid to update the facilities and improve accessibility. This space, located in Calle Valderribas in the Pacífico district of the Spanish capital, and part of the underground network of museums, has been under construction since last May and is now back in operation for the enjoyment of the public.
Built between 1922 and 1924 and declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, the purpose of this site was to solve possible insufficiencies in the electricity supply and to provide a better service to the network which, at that time, was in full expansion. To achieve this, three huge diesel engines were installed, as well as alternators and electric transformers that were used to generate the power to run the trains. With the passage of time and as the companies were able to ensure an increasingly regular supply, the plant, which at the time was the most powerful one installed in Spain, became obsolete and ceased its activity in the 1950s, closing for good in 1972.
The building was restored in 2008 respecting its original appearance and stands out for the clarity of its conception, the attention to detail and the good execution that characterise all the work of the architect, Antonio Palacios.
This space is part of Metro's network of museums, which also includes Gran Vía station, where the remains found during the remodelling work are on display; the old Chamberí station, the old Pacífico hall, which currently conserves the same image it had in 1923; Ópera station, which houses a recreation of the historic Caños del Peral fountain and the archaeological site exhibited at Carpetana station.
Those interested in visiting the Nave de Motores or any of the aforementioned sites can book their free admission and check opening days and times on the website www.museosmetromadrid.es.